05 December 2011

Richard Simmons and Bon Iver

Air New Zealand might be my new favorite international airline. 

I write this within the first hour of this 9 hour flight from LAX to London Heathrow. Why now?  Simply put, I didn't want to forget any detail of this:

My travels started in San Francisco on a delayed United flight.  Nothing too special about this one except maybe the 25 minute nap I had on a 50 minute flight.  I landed at LAX where I connected to my next flight. So that was all good and fine. 

Then came time to board my very first Air New Zealand airplane.  Not only was I met by friendly people with awesome accents, but as I turned the corner, what should I see in the front door?  BAM - purple lights.   

I reached my window seat near the back of the plane to find the middle seat next to me empty. I love when that happens. 

Now usually, there is a somewhat boring video going through all the safety information that you don't have a choice but to watch. But let me tell you, those kiwi's sure know how to made a GOOD safety video.  THE best I've ever had the pleasure of watching. 

It started off just like any other, but then, and this is no joke, who should pop up on the screen, spandex and all, but the one and only - Richard Simmons.  YES.  That happened.  And he wasn't alone in his spandex, he had his little posse of other exercisers in the background head to toe in spandex. I wish I could go into full detail of that video but I'll just say, it was AAAAMAZING. There was Richard doing his thing of pumping us up to put on our life jackets and oxygen masks (in the event of an emergency, of course) followed by a cameo by the host of The Amazing Race showing us the proper position to brace yourself in case the plane is going down. It ended with a shot of quite the party in the plane. A party that was getting a little out of hand as there was a little old naked lady (don't worry, the important parts were blurred out) dancing down the aisle.  

I don't think any other flights safety video will EVER compare. 

After that wonderful experience, we took off. I had Bon Iver playing in my ears and the California sunset over the ocean out my window.

What a great way to begin. 

1 comment: