30 November 2011

You'll Do Fine.

Monday Nail Day - YWAM SF
I gave a beautiful lady a French(ish) manicure.
That's right.
White tip and all.
There truly is a first time for everything.

I had never done that before so when she asked me to do the white tip for her, I kind of looked at her and was like - uhhh - I can try but it might not look that great.  So she kind of laughed and said, "It's ok, you'll do fine." (Ok sure...)

Well I got the white nail polish out and was getting ready to do it and I just started laughing at how ridiculous it was what I was doing at that moment.  I looked at her and told her I was nervous and didn't want to mess it up.  But she just kept smiling, encouraging me that I would do fine.  So she sat there with her shaking hand in mine as I applied the white tip to the pinky.  Not bad.  Then came the ring finger.  Ok, this isn't turning out as horribly as I thought.  Then the next couple fingers.  Hey, this actually looks somewhat decent.  After each nail I imperfectly painted, she would take a second to look at my work exclaiming, "That's so good!" then put her hand back in mine so I could finish.

It was most definitely not professional quality by any means, but I have to say, it looked good.
I was proud.
So was she.
Which made me happy.

But I think what I loved most about this time was not just the fact that I did pretty well on my first time doing something like that, but I was able to just really enjoy her company.  It felt like I was just hanging out with a friend, even though I had just met her and knew very little about what her life has been like up to this point.  We were both chatting and laughing and having a good time together.

After I put on the top coat to finish it off, I got to pray for her.  As I was praying, her grip on my hands got tighter and tighter.  God was doing something in her heart at that moment.  I pray He continues.

That is just one story from my final Monday helping out at the YWAM base in San Francisco for Nail Day.  I'll miss it.

It was a good day.

 

1 comment: