15 January 2014

3 Years Later

It was this day, 3 years ago, that I first took a trip across the pond and stepped on to English soil.  It was a day I won't soon forget.  I got off the plane not knowing what lie ahead.  I didn't even know who was picking me up at the airport let alone what the future would hold.

It was the start of a journey that I could never conjure up in my little imagination of possibilities.  A journey of very new beginnings around every corner, of meeting new faces, of going to a ridiculous amount of places, of being scared, of being challenged, of letting go, of running, of sailing, of love, of serving, of hurt, of failing, of succeeding, of not knowing what I'm doing, of deep, lasting friendships, of struggle, of tight spaces, of teaching, of learning, of growing, of maturing, of digging deep, of finding my dreams, of discovering what it meant to be me.  The list goes on.

I think back to this beginning with such a fondness that can hardly be expressed.  I look at pictures

simply of the Oval and a flood of memories and emotions come and I can't help but be so incredibly grateful for the newness of that beginning and what came from it.

It's impossible to tell all the stories and all that has been learned and experienced without turning this into a novel.  I could talk about what I did, where I've gone, what I've learned, how God has used me, how I've changed, how I've learned to dream and see those come to being, all the people I am beyond blessed to have met and shared life with, of finding myself, of the challenges, of learning to run and loving it, of my guitar playing, of sailing...

I have a good story.

A story worth telling.

A story worth living.

Looking back brings so much gratitude for what God has done and brings hope for what's ahead.  It's easy to get quite hopeless when things in life get difficult and it's hard to see anything other than the struggle.  But when I think of the good, I can't help but be grateful with hopeful expectation that there is more good and joy to come through the trials.

Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Philippians 4:8

I think of these things, of the struggles, of overcoming, of friendships, of fond memories I hold so dear to my heart, and I turn back the the One who gave it all and who keeps giving through the storms.

One things that was spoken over me on my DTS was that God had great plans for me and that He was so excited for those plans.  It's been pretty exciting so far and I want to be even more excited with Him for what's to come.

'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'
Jeremiah 29:11

That is a verse that becomes ever so true every day.  The whole context of it.

For those that have been a part of this journey, I thank you.  You have played a vital and irreplaceable role in this story of mine and it would not be what it is without your presence.

So here I am.  Still very much in this ever changing journey.  It's been quite the three years.  I wonder what the next will bring.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment