12 August 2012

Our Melodies


You know those songs that when you hear it, it evokes a certain emotion that the moment you hear it, you are reminded of that certain something?  Like with so many songs that are tied to certain people, places, experiences, memories, emotions, struggles, victories...you can't help but be taken back to that emotion.  I have several at the moment.  One being "Take Heart":


From the very first seconds of the melody of this song, I am completely overwhelmed by such a loving and calming and at rest feeling.  It's hard to describe.  It's not just because of the words of the songs - yes they are really great and mean so much, but there are also memories tied with this song that add to that emotion.  

So these songs, these melodies, they mean something to us and make us feel something special.

What if it's the same with God?
What if our song evoked that same emotion, that same feeling in God?
What if our song gave God that same experience?
What if that was what our worship to God was?

The song, the melody we bring to God, the lives we live, the way we laugh, the way we run, the way we enjoy life, the way be play, the way we sing, even the way we struggle; each has that place in God's heart and reminds Him of something in us that He created.

I can live my life knowing that I am loved.  Everyday I can say that, even on my darkest, ugliest days - I am loved and have done nothing to earn or deserve it. When Jesus was baptized, God said, "This is my son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased."  God said this before Jesus even began any of His ministry, before He did anything.  He just was.  

So how does this relate to worship?  I can worship, sing, dance, live...knowing that God delights in my singing, He delights in me.  There is a really great message from Jonathan David Helser called 'Worship Echos" which he begins by saying "Worship is giving back to God what He first gave to us." He gave you a voice, He gave you movement, he gave you a song to sing and He delights in you when you give that back to Him.  He delights when you sing Him your song.  Our worship can come from a place of wanting to bring delight to the Father.  It starts with knowing - I know that my song delights the Lord.  I have done nothing to earn or deserve it and I don't need to strive to perform in order to make God happy.  I just need to be and He delights in that and it is out of being that I can do.

What you have revelation of, you are responsible for.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment